VFX Community
October 17, 2018, 04:43:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to VFX Community, Vancouver's Visual Effects Forum for Photo-realistic 3D and Compositing.  Registration is currently closed to curb Spam.  Fresh content is now being directed to www.lostboys-vfx.com  Please join us there!

Home   Forum   Help Arcade Search Calendar Gallery Tags Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lost Boys Learning Open House March 7  (Read 2446 times)
Jill Pearson
Full Contributor

View Profile
« on: March 02, 2009, 03:22:43 PM »

We're hosting an Open House for all ages (high school students welcome) to find out more about visual effects training, 3D animation and the film industry. No RSVP required - just drop by for a coffee and a tour. Our next Visual Effects Diploma programs start May 4 and September 8, 2009.

Pass this invitation on to someone you know who might be interested!

Date:       Saturday, March 7, 2009
Time:       1:00pm - 3:00pm
Street:     Riverside Centre Suite 3 - 145 19th Street
City/Town:Courtenay, BC

Phone:     (250) 871-8103
Email:      admin@lostboys-learning.com

Lost Boys Learning is an Accredited Private College offering a specialized 1 year Visual Effects Diploma program. The school has been operating in the Comox Valley for over three years, owned by husband and wife team Mark and Gillian Benard. Students work with an experienced mentor in a project-based learning environment, covering VFX pre-production and shooting, 3D for VFX with Autodesk's MAYA software and VFX compositing using The Foundry's NUKE software.

Mark and Gillian have close connections with the film industry in Vancouver and other major centres, having run their studio Lost Boys Studios in Vancouver for eight years prior to moving to the Comox Valley. Those connections enable a 94% placement rate, with alumni working on films such as The Reader, Changeling, The Hulk, Scooby Doo 3, Heroes, My Own Worst Enemy, Lost Boys 2: The Tribe, Space Chimps, Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium, Stargate Atlantis, Tin Man and more...

Graduate Patrick Switzer from Comox, now a Character Artist at Pendulum Studios in San Diego, says, “The training I received went well beyond my expectations and provided me with a level of exposure to industry-style production that helped prepare me for today's fast paced work environment in a way that I think very few schools can. Not only did Mark and Gillian teach a complete array of industry techniques and practices, but they pushed me to reach my own goals and strive to discover new approaches. Lost Boys Learning absolutely put me where I am today. It was a great experience and is a great way to prepare yourself for a career in Visual Effects and Animation."

Both local and foreign students enjoy living and studying in the Comox Valley. The bonus is the vast variety of locations available for shooting projects, and the willingness of the community to help out. Besides all the beautiful beach and forest locations, projects have been filmed on Mt. Washington, at Nymph Falls, in the Cumberland Recreation Centre, the Cumberland Museum and the Courtenay Museum and at Leungs coffee bar.

« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 03:12:10 PM by Mark Benard » Logged

Jill Pearson
Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: