VFX Community
November 21, 2017, 08:09:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to VFX Community, Vancouver's Visual Effects Forum for Photo-realistic 3D and Compositing.  Registration is currently closed to curb Spam.  Fresh content is now being directed to www.lostboys-vfx.com  Please join us there!

Home   Forum   Help Arcade Search Calendar Gallery Tags Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: rotate tracking  (Read 2637 times)
floatingrunner
Lost Boys Alumni
Contributor

forever n00b in CG

View Profile
« on: October 16, 2009, 04:08:31 AM »

Mark,

helping Hsuan-Yi with some tracking. remember when i was tracking the Eva footage, you showed me a trick to rotate the plates because it was a little slanted to some point? a line?

can you explain that to me again? (or make a tutorial vid Wink )

thanks!!

p.s  i did not bring my hdd here... so.... missing a lot of resources
Mark Benard
Administrator
Senior Contributor

Founder - Lost Boys Learning

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2009, 12:59:41 AM »

Sorry for the delayed response Andy.  Today was delivery day for the new students Spoon Project and my Term 2'ers UFO Project.

Uhhh...  I'm having some trouble remembering what you are talking about.  I know we did some 2D tracking on that one in AE.  Did we also Boujou that? 

If what you want to do is straighten (rotate, pan, or zoom...) the footage, I recommend doing it last, once everything has been Comp'ed.  You have to be careful with any modifications to your shot that might mess with the 3D Track.  As long as you leave it until the end you'll be OK.  (That way the plate and the elements are all moved as one.)

If that's not what you're asking try to give me a few more details and I'll try to suggest something else.

Good luck and say hi to Hsuan-Yi for me!

Mark

Mark Bénard | Managing Director
Lost Boys Learning | School of Visual Effects

"Divine Creators in the Making"

www.lostboys-learning.com

FacebookLinkedInVFX CommunityYouTubeVimeo

Studio Phone: 250-871-8103
Mailing: Suite 104 – 2456 Rosewall Crescent, Courtenay, BC Canada, V9N 8R9 (Vancouver Island)

Lost Boys Learning is North America's only dedicated visual effects school with world-class training in photo-realistic 3D for VFX and compositing for film and television. Boasting a 94% placement rate Lost Boys Learning offers a specialized 1 year Visual Effects Diploma.  Our students work with the award winning VFX Supervisor and experienced mentor, Mark Bénard, in a project-based learning environment, covering VFX pre-production and shooting, 3D for VFX and compositing.
floatingrunner
Lost Boys Alumni
Contributor

forever n00b in CG

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2009, 11:04:33 PM »

humm... i don't think we tracked it with boujou, just the tracking via AE on this small house in the foreground.

but ... i remmber that the plate was slanted for some reason. and i think we did some trick to rotate it and have it 'pinned' to somewhere using a null and adj layer.

i guess... basically we have a track that is slanted in the plate and need to make it flat automatically rather than rotating it manually
Mark Benard
Administrator
Senior Contributor

Founder - Lost Boys Learning

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2009, 12:40:57 AM »

OK... 

In that case, you'll need two track points if you want to stabilize the rotation.

Are you guys still using After Effects?  I always applied my track data to a Null and then parented the layers that needed the data applied directly to the null...

If I was using Nuke I'd have a Tracker set to Stabilize with two track points.  One Track point would be set to analyze translation and rotation and the other solely for removing rotation.  (BTW:  Nuke has an awesome Tracker!)

Once the rotation and the translation are stabilized you can then simply adjust the overall rotation of the footage.

Asides from you posting up a proxy of the footage then I think this is as far as I can go with this one.  Without seeing the footage it's a bit tricky to guess what you need to do.

Good luck,

Mark

Mark Bénard | Managing Director
Lost Boys Learning | School of Visual Effects

"Divine Creators in the Making"

www.lostboys-learning.com

FacebookLinkedInVFX CommunityYouTubeVimeo

Studio Phone: 250-871-8103
Mailing: Suite 104 – 2456 Rosewall Crescent, Courtenay, BC Canada, V9N 8R9 (Vancouver Island)

Lost Boys Learning is North America's only dedicated visual effects school with world-class training in photo-realistic 3D for VFX and compositing for film and television. Boasting a 94% placement rate Lost Boys Learning offers a specialized 1 year Visual Effects Diploma.  Our students work with the award winning VFX Supervisor and experienced mentor, Mark Bénard, in a project-based learning environment, covering VFX pre-production and shooting, 3D for VFX and compositing.
Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: