VFX Community
July 21, 2017, 04:45:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to VFX Community, Vancouver's Visual Effects Forum for Photo-realistic 3D and Compositing.  Registration is currently closed to curb Spam.  Fresh content is now being directed to www.lostboys-vfx.com  Please join us there!

Home   Forum   Help Arcade Search Calendar Gallery Tags Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: maya 2k9 top view  (Read 4209 times)
floatingrunner
Lost Boys Alumni
Contributor

forever n00b in CG

View Profile
« on: March 03, 2009, 09:57:04 PM »

just curious if anyone is having the same problem.

i am doing this model for a friend. after some complex modeling, we disconvered that the model is completly offset from the top view.

after some checking and testing. we started off from a basic cylinder and found out that when scaling, the centers of the cylinder will be off.

can someone try to duplicate this?

1) create primitive poly cylinder
2) select only top cap verticies (include center)
3) goto top view and zoom RIGHT IN (and i mean right in almost to the point where you can't zoom in anymore)
4) check if the pivot locator is off right or left of the center
5) fix locator to lock to center
6) extrude face and upwards
7) goto top view and zoom in again.

the centers are off not from the point of origin.

can someone explain this?  ;p

thx!
----

on the related topic, is there a way to 'rotate' using transform tools?
from the question, my model offset and i need to reset it to being straight up and down.  basically i got the bottom part to be at point of origin. is there a way where i can just move the top part so the whole object is pivoting from the bottom?  (sort of like a bone or having a camera focal point / manipulator tool.)
thanks everyone!
Mark Benard
Administrator
Senior Contributor

Founder - Lost Boys Learning

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2009, 02:44:15 AM »

Hmmm...  I can't replicate it floatingrunner.

Tried in 2008 and 2009...

In 2009 I zoomed in so much the camera pops back out to default again!

Maybe if you attached a sample maya file we could see what you mean?

And as far as Rotating with Transform tools...  What about grabbing the top vertices and then hitting "Insert" so that you can move the pivot point down to the bottom and then hit your rotate hotkey "E" and do it that way?

Again it's a little hard to visualize so if that doesn't help throw me a file for an example.

Good luck!

M

Mark Bénard | Managing Director
Lost Boys Learning | School of Visual Effects

"Divine Creators in the Making"

www.lostboys-learning.com

FacebookLinkedInVFX CommunityYouTubeVimeo

Studio Phone: 250-871-8103
Mailing: Suite 104 – 2456 Rosewall Crescent, Courtenay, BC Canada, V9N 8R9 (Vancouver Island)

Lost Boys Learning is North America's only dedicated visual effects school with world-class training in photo-realistic 3D for VFX and compositing for film and television. Boasting a 94% placement rate Lost Boys Learning offers a specialized 1 year Visual Effects Diploma.  Our students work with the award winning VFX Supervisor and experienced mentor, Mark Bénard, in a project-based learning environment, covering VFX pre-production and shooting, 3D for VFX and compositing.
floatingrunner
Lost Boys Alumni
Contributor

forever n00b in CG

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009, 05:00:25 AM »

here it is mark, with 2 screen shots. zoom in and see if you can see the problem.

i know how to use the rotate.. is why i ask for transform and in COMPONENT mode.
just think of pressing t can have another manipulator to direct the spotlight or camera. i want something like that when i select a point...
thx mark for taking the time

Hmmm...  I can't replicate it floatingrunner.

Tried in 2008 and 2009...

In 2009 I zoomed in so much the camera pops back out to default again!

Maybe if you attached a sample maya file we could see what you mean?

And as far as Rotating with Transform tools...  What about grabbing the top vertices and then hitting "Insert" so that you can move the pivot point down to the bottom and then hit your rotate hotkey "E" and do it that way?

Again it's a little hard to visualize so if that doesn't help throw me a file for an example.

Good luck!

M

* Archive.zip (626.16 KB - downloaded 181 times.)
Mark Benard
Administrator
Senior Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2009, 02:58:40 AM »

Can you send me the sample Maya file as a Maya Ascii?  (*.ma) 

I don't have 2009 installed at the studio but I should be able to tweak the Ascii so that I can open in 2008.

Cheers,

M

Mailing: Suite 104 – 2456 Rosewall Crescent, Courtenay, BC Canada, V9N 8R9 (Vancouver Island)

Lost Boys Learning is North America's only dedicated visual effects school with world-class training in photo-realistic 3D for VFX and compositing for film and television. Boasting a 94% placement rate Lost Boys Learning offers a specialized 1 year Visual Effects Diploma.  Our students work with the award winning VFX Supervisor and experienced mentor, Mark Bénard, in a project-based learning environment, covering VFX pre-production and shooting, 3D for VFX and compositing.
floatingrunner
Lost Boys Alumni
Contributor

forever n00b in CG

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2009, 06:38:54 AM »

trying again, sorry if i ppost multiple times. just didn't seem to be able to post..

* maFile.zip (7.73 KB - downloaded 156 times.)
Mark Benard
Administrator
Senior Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2009, 07:47:56 PM »

Hmmm...  That's weird...

I notice that in your Extrude node there is a very small value in the Pivot X field...  (See attached image.)

Perhaps that is whats giving the whacky offset?

When I recreate my own cylinder and extrude the top up with that value it does cause a slight shift on the pivot.

M

* Extrude-PivotX.JPG (25.84 KB, 210x352 - viewed 325 times.)

floatingrunner
Lost Boys Alumni
Contributor

forever n00b in CG

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2009, 04:27:03 AM »

the 2 points were offset in the original expansion of verts...

EDIT:

btw, i just found out something interesting.  change the sides from the original 20 to 63. don't use the original setting of the primitive.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 03:37:21 PM by floatingrunner » Logged
Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: