VFX Community
September 21, 2017, 05:00:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to VFX Community, Vancouver's Visual Effects Forum for Photo-realistic 3D and Compositing.  Registration is currently closed to curb Spam.  Fresh content is now being directed to www.lostboys-vfx.com  Please join us there!

Home   Forum   Help Arcade Search Calendar Gallery Tags Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Where can a VFX artist do both 3D & compositing?  (Read 2879 times)
Jill Pearson
Full Contributor

View Profile
« on: April 17, 2009, 04:53:00 PM »

Does anyone know of any VFX shops with a production pipeline wherein an artist can work a shot from start-to-finish?  Or where an artist can work in both the 3D and compositing departments, if not from the same desk then at least during the same contract? 

I think there is a waste of skills going on if an artist is capable of so much more than what is generally available in a specific pipeline.  I know the pipelines are there for a reason... but if one artist can finish a whole shot, then why not, in certain circumstances?  Maybe in smaller companies with a variety of shows and short deadlines? 

Any discussion or advice would be appreciated.

Jill Pearson
kyparissous
Lost Boys Alumni
Community Member

I share therefore I am.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2009, 08:32:03 PM »

Hey Gill,

All the companies i have talked to in Vancouver are quite absolute in separating their 3d and 2d departments. They feel that they need people who are really good at either 3d or 3d work. There are 2d generalist and 3d generalist positions. They only place where i have seen the same person doing both was the previs department here. And the more you get into film  and move away from commercials and tv you loose even that. I for instance am doing mainly fx work and matchmoving/tracking now but for film even that is considered an overkill.

Would be nice but reality wont comply to what we like...

Just my thoughts,
George
floatingrunner
Lost Boys Alumni
Contributor

forever n00b in CG

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2009, 09:07:52 PM »

i heard of it. a company i applied to asks the artist to do from modeling, texturing, etc. basically yea a single shot from start to finish.. i didn't do it.

TCS separates the deparatments but as far as I know almost all of the people there are generalists.
phantom
Lost Boys Alumni
Community Member

Pixels for the people !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2009, 06:20:31 PM »

I think there is a waste of skills going on if an artist is capable

I second that..

around here many studios separate the 3D and the 2D, as far I know..
the CG department usually with a couple of seats for CG compositors...and another 2d dep for the flame and editor...

freelancing dependes how you present your work and then the studio put you a label...2d/3d...

but if the studios dont take advantage of a multidisciplinary artist , you  can always work on role/project basis.. 

but I think in smaller studios you can play diferent roles...
or a specific role in diferent studios

but for sure bigger studios get more separate..
2d comp> online/desktop , roto , td , film/tv

I would say 2 skills for prod is the best , comp/matchmover  comp/mattepain   comp/editor  comp/lighter
and more long contracts if are close each other in the pipeline...

I take a look to the job forums more studios are looking for Hybrid desktop compositors (ej Nuke/Maya)
and make sense since the comper  can jump the to the 3d dep and bring the assets to 2d world is very usefull.

and I think as a VFX artist you should be able to pull a shoot from scratch to delivery , whatever you need to do to sell the shoot.

thats my thoughts..

Manuel Llamas
Digital Compositor
Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: