VFX Community
September 21, 2017, 04:53:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to VFX Community, Vancouver's Visual Effects Forum for Photo-realistic 3D and Compositing.  Registration is currently closed to curb Spam.  Fresh content is now being directed to www.lostboys-vfx.com  Please join us there!

Home   Forum   Help Arcade Search Calendar Gallery Tags Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How much to charge for a Logo Design?  (Read 2878 times)
Mark Benard
Administrator
Senior Contributor

Founder - Lost Boys Learning

View Profile WWW
« on: March 26, 2009, 04:01:58 PM »

"My friend works for this company that needed a new logo/intro for their website and various presentations, so I made a sort of animatic for them to check out and they really liked what I did.
Anyway...They're having a meeting about it, I guess, and I my question is how much would be reasonable to charge for it, and is there a contract template for this kind of thing.  I'm just kinda winging it right now so any advice would be awesome from the sensei's"

Unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately?!) there are no standards for that sort of thing.  Generally you have to take a guess at how much cash they have to throw at it...

I've done Logo's for anywhere between $20,000 and a six pack of beer.

When it boils right down to it I've learned to just ask what they'd like to spend and see what they say.  You could tell them that generally you would take a few grand ($3000 -> $7000?) to design and create a custom logo but you could also throw in that you'd be willing to design a logo that fits within their budget.  (ie. six pack of beer = text with god rays...)  Just for the record at Lost Boys Studios we'd "try" to charge our clients $1000/day/artist.

We found that contracts just got in the way...  The amount of time spent negotiating/defining creative work can take just as much time as doing the whole damn project.

Keep it simple.

50% up front, 50% on delivery.

Cheers,

Mark

BTW:  Advice is free for a reason.  Don't blame me if this advice results in a slightly imperfect outcome!  Wink
« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 03:20:33 AM by Mark Benard » Logged

Mark Bénard | Managing Director
Lost Boys Learning | School of Visual Effects

"Divine Creators in the Making"

www.lostboys-learning.com

FacebookLinkedInVFX CommunityYouTubeVimeo

Studio Phone: 250-871-8103
Mailing: Suite 104 – 2456 Rosewall Crescent, Courtenay, BC Canada, V9N 8R9 (Vancouver Island)

Lost Boys Learning is North America's only dedicated visual effects school with world-class training in photo-realistic 3D for VFX and compositing for film and television. Boasting a 94% placement rate Lost Boys Learning offers a specialized 1 year Visual Effects Diploma.  Our students work with the award winning VFX Supervisor and experienced mentor, Mark Bénard, in a project-based learning environment, covering VFX pre-production and shooting, 3D for VFX and compositing.
floatingrunner
Lost Boys Alumni
Contributor

forever n00b in CG

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2009, 06:26:57 AM »

interesting that one of my friend is also asked this to my guy i am working for currently (he's a graphic designer). and he is charging basic $3000 a piece. so that's seemed like a average amount.

of course, my boss is very particular about his designs (tons of research and sketches yielding excellent results). as far as he is concerned, if you want some $100 logo. just google or find a site that provides free designs.

Mark said most of the what's needed. There are work being put in it and people need to know it~   Cheesy

good luck
Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: